Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 5 of 31 for 21 - Friends

We all know the importance of friends.  As adoptive parents of special needs children, sometimes those friendships are invaluable.  With adopted children we have some unique situations and issues to deal with that very few parents will ever experience let alone even want to try to understand.  Over the years I have been blessed with finding friends that "get it".  They've been there, done that, worn the t-shirt out and got a new one.  I've had phone conversations with them in the middle of the night after sitting all day with a child in the hospital, the most amazing prayer warriors saying prayers in all different religions with no conflict between anyone, and just knowing I can tell them anything and never be judged.

Four years ago when Cameron came home, I was blessed to have these friends to rely on who were knowledgeable and understanding.  When we almost lost Cameron 2 weeks after his placement, they were all there for us.  This is all in spite of the fact I am one of the few that has adopted a child with Down Syndrome.  What's nice is in their eyes, he's not Cameron the Down Syndrome child.  He is Cameron, Captain Destructo, a little guy that makes so many people laugh, and a loving little boy.  Near or far, I know I can turn to any of my friends about my kids and they will all be accepted.

Thank you friends for all you have done and all that your are.  I'm a better mommy because of all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment